David A. Bednar: The tender mercies of the Lord are real and they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and though the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Faith and a Prayer

On Monday I noticed that my wallet was missing. I wasn't too stressed about it because I've always found it pretty easily in the past. Well, Tuesday morning I still hadn't found it. I looked through the house and the Suburban all day. Tuesday night I had the kids and Paul help me ransack the house to try to find it. My boss's credit card, my drivers license, money, etc. was all in my wallet. I was really stressed out by this point. Well, I called the kids in to the piano room. We had a prayer asking that I could find my wallet and then I explained to the kids that if we have faith in the Lord, He'll help us to find it. After looking a little longer, I felt prompted that it wasn't in the house. I told Paul and he looked in the Suburban again. When he came back in we took a break to put the kids to bed. Afterwards Paul asked me if I had called the stores where we were on Saturday. I told him that I had called Target on Monday to see if they had it and they didn't. That was the last place I was with it. He told me to call again. I did reluctantly because I had already called them. Well, this time they said they had it! I'm glad Paul felt prompted that we should call again. This was a great teaching opportunity for my kids. They were so excited to hear that I had found it! I do have faith in the Lord. I know my faith wavers often but I'm trying to increase my faith daily. I know the Lord hears and answers prayers.

President Monson: April 1978 General Conference

"Heartwarming is the example of the mother in America who prayed for her son’s well-being as the ship on which he served sailed into the bloody cauldron known as the Pacific theater of war. Each morning she would arise from kneeling in prayer and serve as a volunteer on those production lines which became lifelines to men in battle. Could it be that a mother’s own handiwork might somehow directly affect the life of a loved one? All who knew her and her family cherished the actual account of her sailor son, Elgin Staples, whose ship went down off Guadalcanal. Staples was swept over the side; but he survived, thanks to a life belt that proved, on later examination, to have been inspected, packed, and stamped back home in Akron, Ohio, by his own mother!

I know not by what method rare, But this I know, God answers prayer. I know that He has given His Word, Which tells me prayer is always heard, And will be answered, soon or late. And so I pray and calmly wait.

Well might the younger generation ask the question: “But what about today? Does He still hear? Does He continue to answer?” To which I promptly reply: “There is no expiration date on the Lord’s injunction to pray. As we remember Him, He will remember us.”

Most of the time there are no flags waving nor bands playing when prayer is answered. His miracles frequently are performed in a quiet and natural manner."

No comments: