David A. Bednar: The tender mercies of the Lord are real and they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and though the Lord Jesus Christ.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Music

I am not an accomplished musician. I'll never claim to be but I have had singing lessons and I have been playing the piano since I was 4. That really doesn't mean much because when I was given the chance to quit piano lessons at the age of 14 I did! What teenager wouldn't? So therefore, my skill is stuck at that level. Although. I do feel like I can sit down and teach myself to play something if I desire. So, on occasion, I try to do just that. There are also some days when I feel the need to sit down at my piano and play what is familiar to me; what I've known how to play for years! Maybe even since I was 14. Sunday afternoons are a favorite time for me to do that. Maybe it's because the Spirit is so strong in our home on Sundays because we've been to church that I find myself playing spiritual songs. Well, today was no exception. I sat down and randomly started playing, and singing, a few of my favorites. While doing so, the Spirit was very strong! The words to 2 of these songs stuck out at me with such force that I felt that I needed to record them here. I would hope you will look them up, listen to them, listen to the words, and let them touch your heart personally, as they did me today. If I was daring enough, I would sing them to you but since I'm scared to death to do a solo in front of people, I guess I won't!

Oh, Lord, My Redeemer
Arranged by Greg Hansen
Words and Music by Jeff Goodrich

1. And the Roman soldiers laughed When they saw their pris'ner stumble.
He did not revile them back. And wondering, I asked, "Who was this man so humble?"
And a woman at my side Choked on her reply. Though she struggled not to weep,
The tears poured down her cheek, Her heart breaking as she cried:

Chorus
"Oh, Lord, my Redeemer. Thou hast done so much for me!
Oh Lord, my Redeemer, All my love I give to Thee!"

2. And the crowd went pushing on. I felt compelled to follow.
I knew that they were wrong How they mocked Him all along. Suddenly my heart felt hollow.
For they nailed Him to a tree On a hill called Calvary.
While I stood there filled with wonder, The heavens roared with thunder,
And again I heard this plea:

Chorus
"Oh, Lord, my Redeemer. Thou hast done so much for me!
Oh Lord, my Redeemer, All my love I give to Thee!"
I could not forget his face As I wandered from that place.
With the questions ever burning, I put myself to learning,
And each answer came with grace. And I knelt in earnest prayer,
His memory still there. and the more that I'd enquire, The hotter burned the fire.
I found joy beyond compare.

3. And the day turned into three. Morning found me in a garden
Where the gentle April breeze Returned me to my knees, Pleading for a pardon.
And I can't say when or why I opened up my eyes,
But his feet were there before me, His hands were open o'er me, and his face I recognized.

Chorus
"Oh, Lord, my Redeemer. Thou hast done so much for me!
Oh Lord, my Redeemer, All my love I give to Thee!"

Isaiah 47:4 As for our redeemer, the Lord of hosts is his name, the Holy One of Israel.

Learn of Me
Words by Joy Saunders Lundberg
Music by Janice Kapp Perry


1. I walk today along the path of life, No more a child protected from the strife.
Now I must face whatever foes may come and fight with strength until the battle's won.
I trembling fear the task is far too great, on every side the Tempter lies in wait.
What can I do? I plead to Him above, then hear Him speak these gentle words of love:

Chorus
Learn of me and listen to my words, walk in the meekness of my light.
And I shall give you peace, my love will never cease, For I am Jesus Christ.

2. When I was yet a child so clean and pure, I doubted not and knew God's love was sure.
I knew He lived, for every bird and tree, by breath and leaf were witnesses to me.
But now the world would fill my mind with doubt, and so my soul, in search of truth finds out.
How may I know? I plead to Him above, then I recall these gentle words of love:

Chorus
Learn of me and listen to my words, walk in the meekness of my light.
And I shall give you peace, my love will never cease, For I am Jesus Christ.

3. My life is blessed to have His sacred word, to feel His love and know my prayers are heard.
Within my soul His light has found a place. It leads the way as I receive His grace.
The peace I feel, my joy in sacred things, Surpasses all the world could ever bring.
With hum
ble heart I take a valiant stand I will obey this gentle sweet command:

Chorus
Learn of me and listen to my words, walk in the meekness of my light.
And I shall give you peace, my love will never cease, For I am Jesus Christ.
Learn of Me.


Doctrine and Covenants 19:23
Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me.

1 comment:

Emily said...

These songs mean so much to me anymore. I don't have even the ten years of piano skills but I like to listen to them, if I try to sing them I just completely fill up with the spirit and get choked up. Its amazing the places we all find peace when life is so tough.