David A. Bednar: The tender mercies of the Lord are real and they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and though the Lord Jesus Christ.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Answer to a Prayer

One of the most distinct answers from the Holy Ghost that I have received is when I was kneeling in prayer, asking Heavenly Father about my decision to marry Paul. For 2 year prior to meeting Paul, I had been writing a missionary and I just knew at that time, that I wanted to marry him. He and I never discussed marriage but at that point there was no one else I could see myself marrying. Well, I met Paul about 6 months prior to the missionary coming home. That changed everything. When the time came that Paul and I were very serious in our relationship, I had to make a decision. Do I wait for the missionary to see what may happen or continue my relationship with Paul? At this point I was very in love with 2 different men. I never thought that could happen. One day as I was kneeling in prayer, an image came into my mind of that missionary and the last time I had seen him. It was that image that made me realize that yes, I still loved him, but it was Paul who my heart felt it couldn’t live without at that moment. The Lord was making it very clear that both men were a good decision, but only one was the right decision. I decided then and there, that it was Paul that I wanted to marry. I asked the Lord if this decision was correct. The answer that came to my mind, as plain as day, was just 2 words: “Have patience.” Wow! I never knew I could receive an answer from the Lord as clear as that. I knew I was going to marry Paul but I needed to be patient. I’ll never forget how strong that answer came. I didn’t love that missionary any less. I just knew that Paul was the right answer and that I loved him just as much. The Lord needed me to have patience at that time because Paul hadn’t received his answer yet like I had. The spirit doesn’t always answer with such a strong, straight forward answer. Sometimes it’s just an idea, or a simple thought. It’s that we recognize it as the Spirit that counts and also when we act upon that impression immediately. St Mark 1:10 "...he saw the Heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him."

No comments: