David A. Bednar: The tender mercies of the Lord are real and they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and though the Lord Jesus Christ.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Serve The Lord

All growing up my mom taught us that we should never turn down a calling. It comes from the Lord so He obviously has faith in us that we can fulfill that calling. When Paul and I lived in the Rexburg 4th Ward in about 2005 I was serving as the Primary Secretary. Our president was moving to Idaho Falls. I knew the calling would be given to the 1st counselor because she was such a spiritual giant. I knew she would serve well as the new president. About 2 weeks after the current president had moved out of our ward we still didn’t have a new one. Up to that point I kept thinking that I could never fill those shoes and I wondered who would. One day a thought occurred to me; what if the Lord wanted me to fill that position and not someone else; someone who I thought was more spiritually worthy than me? That thought troubled me because I knew I was too inadequate for the calling. After a few more days I finally prayed to the Lord that if I were the one to fill that calling, then I would accept it and try my best to do a good job. That following day the Bishop called me to ask if he could come visit with Paul and I in our home. He extended the calling to me.
I did my best to listen to the spirit and to fulfill that calling to the best of my ability. My family and I were greatly blessed because of it. I grew to love those children so much that when the time came for me and my family to move out of that ward, I didn’t want anyone else to take my place. I wanted to take them with me! I wanted to make sure they continued to receive the gospel lessons as we had taught them. I knew though that my successor would do a wonderful job because the Lord was on her side. D&C 4:2 “Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.” (Jan 2009)

No comments: